Author Topic: Crunchy sounding Preamp pot

February 04, 2024, 10:21:51 AM
Read 692 times

DaftFader

• View Profile
Hi, I have not long finished my build of your amazing triple-input DI. However sadly the last 1/4 turn of the preamp pot is audibly crunchy and crackly for me whenever I move the dial (it's possible it's also crunchy lower down, but I just can't hear it at the low monitoring levels I've been using so far whilst testing and playing about with it to get used to using it). This is rather irritating, as this is the range at which I need to have it set to to get the output level I need for most of my instruments. It also seems like on occasions the wiper will settle in a section on the rail where the connection is not great, and I have to twiddle the knob to make it sound clear/clean again.

Is there a way to fix this without replacing the pot?

Thanks
DF

February 06, 2024, 10:59:16 AM
Reply #1

JPK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
First check that there is no DC voltage across the pot (fully counterclockwise).
If OK, try a little contact cleaner spray inside the pot.
If not OK, contact me for a pot replacement.
JPK

February 08, 2024, 09:45:08 AM
Reply #2

DaftFader

• View Profile
I don't get any DC voltage across any pins of the pot, in any position CCW, CW or inbetween, when the unit is powered on and preamp is engaged. Is that normal? Changing input makes no diferance and I tested all pins 1+2 2+3 and 1+3, and tried both with and without an instrument inputting and nothing. I get like a tiny spike of only a few mv (could just be the connection being made) which quickly goes down to 000.00mv in every combination. 

February 08, 2024, 06:05:45 PM
Reply #3

JPK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Is that normal?
Yes, perfectly normal. DC voltage on the pot could have explained the scratchy behaviour.
JPK

February 08, 2024, 07:25:36 PM
Reply #4

DaftFader

• View Profile
Ah ok cool, I was worried for a sec heh.8)

I have some contact cleaning coming tomorrow in the post, so will report back. Thanks!

February 17, 2024, 05:19:48 PM
Reply #5

DaftFader

• View Profile
Just a follow up, the contact cleaner seems to of helped, I'll keep monitoring it and report back if it deteriorates again. I have a ton of contact cleaner though, so as long as it lasts a fair while before oxidizing again, I'll be ok to just keep giving it a toot of the spray every once in a while. 

Ta!

February 19, 2024, 05:48:19 PM
Reply #6

JPK

• Administrator
    • View Profile