Author Topic: Light Hiss/Noise

February 11, 2024, 09:30:57 PM
Read 467 times

egelmett

• View Profile
My intention for the pair of MU524s was as a subtle buss compressor for mixes.

I noticed that there's a light, but audible, hiss/noise coming from these devices.

I understand this may be inherent to analog, especially tube/valve, devices, but is there anything to look out for that may cause this noise?

Thank You,

Ed

February 12, 2024, 11:07:27 AM
Reply #1

JPK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Can you measure the noise voltage at the output with the input pot at min and output pot at max?
Should be around 1mVAC.
If higher, try moving the unit to a different slot, further away for the PSU?
JPK

February 24, 2024, 07:45:02 PM
Reply #2

egelmett

• View Profile
JPK,

Thanks for the suggestions. As far as I can read with my meter, it was around 1mVAC.

I tried different slots, and a different 500 chassis with no changes. I was also sure to check, and then check again, the DC converters were different considering stereo usage.

However, in the process of testing one of the units today, while taking off the panel, I noticed a decease in the hiss I am concerned about. Through some more testing, I had to isolate two of the four screws that secures the cover plate from making contact with the plate. I isolated the points on the plate from the posts and screws. Those were the screws near U2 and the one near TP5. Both devices exhibited this noise, one way worse than the other.

It was odd though. Only the screw near TP5 did this at first, and once I isolated that screw, the screw near U2 started doing the same thing, so I isolated it as well. Luckily, there were no further surprises.

I did look under the main PCB to see if perhaps some unwanted contact was being made when tightening the screw. None found. I even tested this by taping off the whole underside of the cover plate thinking perhaps some intermittent contact was taking place along the plate. I couldn't find an issue there either.

In the end, I applied isolating electrical tape on the cover holes (both sides) near TP5 and U2 in order to isolate the screw from the plate, on both devices.

Any ideas why this might be?

Connecting this back into my system, I found upping the output of the MP556 and lowering the output of the MU524, reduced audibly, any remaining noise -  aka better gain staging.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 10:18:56 PM by egelmett »

February 26, 2024, 11:24:11 AM
Reply #3

JPK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Any ideas why this might be?
Does the noise also decrease if you remove the cover plate completely?

This kind of behavious sometimes come from a HF oscillation somewhere. Check the solder joints on all film and ceramic capacitors.
JPK

February 27, 2024, 02:26:34 AM
Reply #4

egelmett

• View Profile
Yes, the hiss would clear after removing the cover, and only reappear when securing the screws to the posts I mentioned.